A rather futile entry, but there you go.

Fragile moments of temporary vulnerability, parting like curtains in a dark room. On the bus ride home after work today, packed in tight with other droopy bodies, a gangly, pale, red-eyed man got on with his companion, a woman so thin and pale that she was not much more than a whisper. "We don't have any bus fare; she just got out of the hospital and we had to get medication" he said to the driver in a plain-spoken but steady voice. No entitlement or arrogance, but definitely a tone that expressed that he was dealing with troubles far greater than regular conventions could even touch. The bus driver had him pass through quietly, and the pair unsteadily made their way together and sat right across from me. She was thin like a bird, and I could see on her wrist that she still had her hospital identification and a Medic Alert bracelet. She was so thin that I have no idea how she was even standing, let alone out in public on a crowded bus.

The woman leaned against the gangly man with her delicate hand resting on his lap and I could see that she was resting as much as she could, even in this public place, and that she was going moment by moment finding refuge where she could. I don't know if this man was her husband or friend, but it was clear that he was a total support to her and that she needed it. I felt like I wished I could do anything to help -- offer them something from the bag of groceries crowding around my feet, a bus ticket, something, anything, but for the brief moment that my eyes met theirs it was clear that they just wanted privacy and distance from the loud world around them. To address them would likely have been an intrusion.

So much to say about unspeakable, heartbreaking things that I have seen, sad and also joyful and beautiful, but these are things that I can't write away tonight. Suffice it to say that sometimes I'm reminded that we are so fragile and broken at different times in our lives. The illusion of "us" and "them" is pretty much just that: an illusion. Everybody hurts. We should be gentle and kind. Whoever those people are, my heart goes out to them in whatever limited way, and I hope they will be okay, whatever they are going through.

Comments

Warren Layberry said…
Nothing quite like the occasional glimpse into the small dark moments of other people's lives to make you realize just how lucky you really are.
Renée said…
True, but I always have to check myself to be sure that I'm *not* taking comfort in being thankful that it's them, not me.
Nikki2987 said…
What a POWERFUL post. Thank you so much for sharing this experience.
Gillian said…
Beautifully expressed Renee. To me, simply being seen, does something to actualize us. So many people look away for it can be hard to face our own fragility in the face of another's. Thank you for this post, for your compassion and willingness to see.
Renée said…
Gillian: I cannot express to you how much your comment and its timing mean to me. Thank you so much. <3

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Out As Fat

Not really sure what this blog post is about, but it felt like it needed to be written.

Tea-rotica and High Tea at the Empress Hotel